Monday, February 15, 2010

two coins.

"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound to every good work."
-- 2 Corinthians 9:8 NIV

People always say, God is love.

Well, yeah. He's love. He created it. He loves harder than anything he created. But I also like to remember that God is grace.

God is grace.

Grace is such a powerful thing. I heard it described yesterday as "receiving what we do not deserve," while mercy is "not receiving what we do deserve." But that's another blog for another day.

Something so indescribably incredible. The greatest blessing we know. That which allows us a relationship with our Creator.

I hate the way that I am capable of ignoring His grace. I go throughout my day without noticing that grace is being showered on me at every moment. I am ungrateful and selfish. I want to stop. But the simple fact is: I like sin.

Yup. I just said that: I like sin. Why? Because it's easy.

But I see friends that walk with Him daily. And suddenly it's all I can think about. What am I missing out on? I miss praying as I walk down the hallway at school. I miss discovering the little things in the Bible that seemed to be written just for me. I miss having Someone to trust completely and wholly.

So why not give in, and trust Him with my entire self?

This isn't a post about some life changing epiphany I've had. No, it's just a restatement of the ungrateful wretch I am. It's a plea for accountability from the hardly existent readers of this blog.

Why the sudden (well, okay, fine, maybe not sudden) desire for grace? I read the story of the woman with two coins today.

From Mark 12:41-44 NIV --
"Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts of money. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, 'I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything - all she had to live on.'"

"'All the other gave what they'll never miss; she gave extravagantly what she couldn't afford - she gave her all.'"
-- Mark 12:44 The Message

That verse is exactly what I want: To give my all, to give extravagantly. I want to be the woman who gives her every possession, totaling less than a penny, to God. Out of faith. Trusting that His grace is sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment