Saturday, January 30, 2010

ya-ya.

"We are not born all at once, but by bits. The body first, and the spirit later.... Our mothers are racked with the pains of our physical birth; we ourselves suffer the longer pains of our spiritual growth."
- Mary Antin

Above is one of the epigraphs to Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I'm reading it right now. It's about these four friends:

The Ya-Ya's.

I wish I was a Ya-Ya. They know what it's all about.

"Setting the magnifying glass aside for a moment, Sidda relaxed her eyes so that the photo was only vaguely in focus. An afternoon of iced tea and idleness. Those Ya-Yas aren't going anywhere. They're lying low on the side porch shaded by live oaks. The Germans are about to reach Stalingrad, and the gas chambers are heating up, but the Ya-Yas are still in high school, and the life of the porch surrounds them. They are lazy together. This is comfort. This is joy. Just look at these four. Not one wears a watch. This porch time is not planned. Not penciled into a DayRunner.
Those porch girls had no idea they were going to sprawl on that couch until the weight of their adolescent bodies sank down into the pillows. They have no idea when they will get up off that couch. They have no plans for what will happen next. They only know their bodies touching as they try to keep cool. They only know that coolest spot they can find is in front of that rotary fan.
I want to lay up like that, to float unstructured, without ambition or anxiety. I want to inhabit my life like a porch."

I yearn for summer. I yearn for deep friendship(s).

I feel empowered as of late. I feel bold. Like I can make mistakes, and it's okay. The world will not end if I fail a math test.

I'm so ready for summer. There's more snow on the ground outside than I've seen in all my life, and I just want summer. It's silly, really. I love cold weather, snow, etc. But I just want. Silly me. I'll play in the snow tomorrow. Then I will anxiously await summertime.

I want to be a Ya-Ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment