Thursday, December 31, 2009

he-who-shall-be-named.

There are so many names for my God. Ancient Hebrews knew Him by some seven names-

1. Eloah.
2. Elohim.
3. Adonai.
4. Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh.
5. Yahweh.
6. Shaddai.
7. Zebaot.

Aren't they beautiful? So beautiful, in fact, that some Jews will not even write His Name, so as to avoid erasing or defacing it. They exalt God that much.

Here I am, struggling every day with using His beautiful name in vain. Well, now I'm done. There are people who will not even pick up a pen just to write a Name, out of pure reverence for him.

Reverence. I want to revere Him that much.

El.
God. Simply, El means God.

El Shaddai.
God Almighty. El Shaddai- say it out loud. And again. And revel in the way it sounds His glory.

Shalom.
Peace. What He provides me, when I trust Him.

Adonai.
Lord. I have always preferred to call Him Lord. I have friends that call him anything from "Father God" to "Daddy". I like Lord. It's so beautiful.

YHWH.
Yahweh. This is the Name often considered too sacred to utter. This is God's personal Name.

"Be glorified
Be magnified
Our El Shaddai
Praise Adonai
We cry holy
We cry holy
We cry holy
Adonai"
Regardless, Jimmy Needham

No comments:

Post a Comment